1923 Cadillac Restoration
Sometimes passion for classic cars runs through generations in a family. This is certainly true of twin brothers Scott and Craig Emmerson. They are the grandchildren of Henry Formby whose name is synonymous with Cadillac and the La Salle Cadillac Club in Australia. He rallied his 1912 and 1923 Cadillac’s for two and a half decades and alongside Ken Moss and Dave Fiechtne, founders of the La Salle Club in 1970. Henry became known as the Cadillac Guru of Victoria and was definitely the person to go to for advice and information.
Built in April 1923 in the USA, the car was imported to Australia by a farmer who lived in Nhill, just out of Horsham Victoria. The original colour was Battleship Grey, which was a standard colour. At the time of production, there was a limited choice of colours: maroon, blue and grey. Special colour options were available but most cars were ordered in one of the three standard colours.
The Cadillac has sat dormant in a shed into the late 1990’s . This turned out to be very good for Scott and Craig who were now then old enough to work on it. They started a full motor rebuild as well as brake rebuilding, and made sure everything mechanically had been inspected. They didn’t undertake repairing the woodwork or the paint at the time as they knew it was going to be a massive job. Scott is now ready to restore the vehicle’s paintwork and has handed it over to PJ’s Panels in Keysborough to undertake this special task. PJ’s Panels have used time-honoured methods to repair and restore classic and muscles cars for over 15 years in Melbourne East. The restoration of the Cadillac required painstakingly sanding back through several layers of paint before applying the new Battleship Grey colour to exactly replicate the car’s original colour.